Monday, January 03, 2005

Listmania

I'm sort of a little bit dumbfounded that the new year is actually here, that it is happening as I write. The past month has been the proverbial blur, and I've been something of a slacker keeping up the writing in this little space. In a nutshell, there have been some holiday parties, a trip back East, the worst storm Santa Barbara has seen, well, since I've lived here, and two whole days without electricity, hot water and heat. There was yet another bout of lost luggage, one that resulted in a bunch of my stuff being damaged, including my favorite Coach bag, my second favorite pair of pointy toed boots, and most of the books I got for Christmas. There was a kick ass New Year's karaoke party, that ended with my friend C and I doing "Angel of the Morning" (yes, Juice Newton) as a duet, and it was awesome. Umm, what have I forgotten? Let's just wrap up the year in one of those snazzy little lists that all the cool kids are doing this year, shall we? I'm stealing mine from Sundry.
1. What did you do in 2004 that you haven't done before? Hmm. Rented a house for a week in another country. Sang karaoke.
2. Did you keep your new yearÂ’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I'll get back to you next year on this one.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Nope.
4. Did anyone close to you die? My uncle, suddenly and quietly.
5. What countries did you visit? Mexico. But not like, Tiajuana. San Miguel de Allende.
6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you didn't get in 2004? An engagement ring.
7. What dates from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? No specific dates, but the weekend spent in San Francisco with K and J was pretty awesome. Also? Halloween in Vegas.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Making it though one more year at my job.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not getting entirely out of debt. Yet.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Um, two abscesses resulting in two root canals. That sucked.
11. What was the best thing you bought?My brown suede Coach bag, because I love it.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Jon Stewart (ripping off Sundry a little, but it's true!)
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The entire Bush administration.
14. Where did most of your money go? Rent. Car. Stuff that I don't need but am compelled to buy.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Our Mexico trip. Actually, most of our trips, because I live for that sort of thing.
16. What song will always remind you of 2004? The Garden State soundtrack, because I played it in my car for no less than three months straight.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? I'd like to think a little happier, but I'm not sure how to gage that sort of thing. b) thinner or fatter? I think about the same, though if you asked me that questions three months ago I would have answered thinner, by all means. c) richer or poorer? richer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Spent time with my friends. Gone to the gym and ate healthier, consistently. Read more. Been more cautious with my money.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Dwelling on the negative. Hating my job. Worrying about what I don't have instead of what I do.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I guess I'm a bit late. I spent it with my parents, eating, drinking, napping and watching movies. It was awesome.
21. Did you fall in love in 2004? Hmm. Does more in love count?
22. How many one-night stands? Not a one.
23. What was your favorite TV program?Lost, Lost and Lost. Ooh, and Law and Order (rip Lenny!)
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No. Well, I dislike someone greatly, but I don't hate.
25. What was the best book you read? Middlesex. A Handmaid's Tale (re-read). The Namesake. Umm, I can't possibly pick just one.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?I dunno. Dangermouse I like. I've been boring this year with music, listening to a lot of old stuff. I rediscovered Liz Phair, and that was fun (old Liz, NOT the new crap).
27. What did you want and get? A few Coach bags. A few good vacations.
28. What did you want and not get?An engagement ring.
29. What was your favorite film of this year? Garden State.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?I turned 31 in October, and spent my birthday proper having dinner with the Peanut here, and then spent the next two weeks doing birthday related things, like going to Vegas, having a spa day, and eating the best cake in the world with my homegirl J.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?Eh, I'm not down with regret.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004? Concept, huh? Well, I try to look really good all the time. Is that a concept? I stayed away from those poncho things and Uggs, and continued spending too much money on shoes and bags. The rest is just filler anyway, no?
33. What kept you sane? The Peanut. My friends. Sephora.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Um, Viggo Mortenson. Johnny Depp. I also have a non-sexual yet raging crush on Morimoto. Who knew?
35. What political issue stirred you the most? Christ. Well, how much time do you have? The war. Abortion. The environment. Education. That dumb fucking look on W's face all the time.
36. Who did you miss? All my girls from back East that I will finally get to see, all together, in March when my best friend gets married. My sister, who moved to New Jersey in August. The Peanut, when he was in Oaxaca.
37. Who was the best new person you met? Hmm. I have no idea. Wait, I know. My new officemate. She's pretty neat.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004.That I'm never going to be 100% satisfied with my life, and that I need to learn to be happy with all of the good things that I do have.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. I am drawing a complete and utter blank. I'll think on it and get back to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home